RotoBuzz -- Fantasy Baseball

Monday, May 22, 2006

Our 100th Post -- Accountability

At the suggestion of a few readers, RotoBuzz is going to dedicate its 100th post to doing a quick look back and check my credibility. Did my sleepers pan out? How close were my projections? And most of all...how about a couple of "I told you so's..."

If you found your way to this site, then chances are you came over from Addict Fantasy Sports where I started giving you pre-draft advice back in February. I started off cracking on ex-Marlins pitching and then took my way through the positions lending some friendly and hopefully helpful advice. Let's do a quick roundup...

Catchers -- If we're just talking about the first 2 months here, I guess I was wrong about Victor Martinez standing alone. We've seen some really solid performances so far. Even my guy Jorge Posada is off to a great start. I called out up and comers Johnny Estrada and Brian McCann, both hitting over .300, and everyone else I mentioned, barring injury (Ryan Doumit and Dioner Navarro), is on target. I did miss the Josh Willingham call and my super sleeper, Yorvit Torrealba, got injured right out of Spring Training.

1st Base -- Well I did all right here I think. Ryan Howard? A monster. Jim Thome? An even bigger monster. Even Jason Giambi and Chad Tracy are on target for solid seasons. Lyle Overbay has been steady, but yeah....what's up with Brad Whifferson? Of course as soon as I called him out here he went on a little tear. Still you can't strike out 40% of the time. About the only surprise I missed was Nick Swisher and his 13 HR. Chris Shelton you ask? I guess if he ended up on my roster in my primary league, well then I didn't miss him, did I?

2nd Base -- In my column, I actually just did a middle infield report, but of the 2B I singled out, I told you to go after Chase Utley and to stay away from Jorge Cantu. If you listened, you're doing fine as Utley has been solid and Cantu only has 55 AB due to a fractured foot. Even when he returns, I still don't expect a even close to a repeat of last year's numbers. I pointed out Rickie Weeks who is playing a solid second base for the Brewers, and also, in the last minute advice, I told you to check out Dan Uggla who has been much better than advertised.

Shortstop -- The other half of the column found me driving the Felipe Lopez bandwagon with Clint Barmes riding shotgun. Time to get rid of my co-pilot. I also warned you off of Jhonny Peralta who doesn't look like the same guy we saw last year. My super sleeper J.J. Hardy was showing some better power but we just lost him to a major ankle injury (hmm...trend here? hope not). But...once again in the last minute help department, you were told to pick up Hanley Ramirez. 12 steals with an average over .300? Gimme!!!

3rd Base -- I told you to check the injury reports for over here. Scott Rolen is looking solid so far, Troy Glaus has been the Troy of old with 12 dingers and a .250 avg., and Nomar Garciaparra has already seen a loss of playing time due to injury. He is, however, hitting very well right now, but again...for how long is that? Aramis Ramirez isn't off to the tear I thought he would be, but he does have 8 HR. The .230 avg. needs to be fixed. A good surprise in Ty Wigginton's performance filling in in Tampa. Definitely didn't see that coming... My sleeper, Corey Koskie, came out of the spring with the job over Bill Hall and has a solid .289 average with 5 HR. He makes for a nice 2nd option in mixed leagues.

Outfield -- Again, so much to cover in the number of outfielders. If you listened to me you are currently awaiting the return of Coco Crisp. He was off to a nice start until the broken knuckle. Keep holding on as he should be back in a week or so. Grady Sizemore, Jason Bay, Carlos Lee and Matt Holliday are all producing very well. I was down on some of the old guard and not too far off with Bernie Williams, Jim Edmonds, Reggie Sanders and Steve Finley, but with all 4 getting the playing time right now, any of them could serve me up a little humble pie. But here we go...the great Corey Patterson debate. I don't like him. I won't budge. And he's not doing anything to change my mind right now. But the infamous Graeber continues to spout off about 13 SB. "He's on pace for 50+ steals!!!" (actually it's 47, chump) is all I've heard. Listen, if you want some cheap steals at the expense of your other production, then he's your guy. But he's on pace for less than 400 AB and that's not even with all of the Orioles outfielders healthy. He's too streaky and will not see regular playing time all year. I will take this battle to the end of the season. If I am wrong I will admit it, but I know...deep in my heart...with all I've got...that Corey Patterson will eventually prove me right. To add....to twist the knife even further....to inflict more mental damage on Graeber...I will say this. (very long and dramatic pause) Jonny Gomes and Brad Hawpe have both been excellent sources of production this year and remain as solid choices in all fantasy leagues.

Pitchers -- Well, I warned you off of the ex-marlins. A.J. Burnett and Carl Pavano both have serious injuries, and Josh Beckett is up and down in Boston ( 3 good outings followed by 3 bad ones followed my 3 good ones...). What's worse is that everyone keeps saying the word "blister" to him and he freaks out. Hmmmm. For the rest, I gave you some tips on what to look for in building a staff. I liked some 3rd year guys in Erik Bedard, Daniel Cabrera, Joe Blanton and Scott Kazmir -- 2 out of 4 , I guess. I highlighted the return of Jason Schmidt and the effectiveness of Mark Buehrle...both producing very well although Buehrle's WHIP could use a reduction. Unfortuantely, the injury bug hit Horacio Ramirez, but he should be back soon and the Marlins staff is in disarray having sent Jason Vargas to the minors. Howver, I did like Scott Baker of the Twins as well, and he's been very servicable so far. Overall, I would give myself a B- with my overall pitching stafff predictions.

Closers -- All I can really say here is that I wish, for my drafts, I just stopped with Ryan Dempster and Jose Valverde. Both have put up solid numbers. Mike Gonzalez isn't horrible, but the Pirates sure are. How can he find a groove when he's in a save situation once a month? I mentioned Joe Borowski and he seems to be as shaky as I thought he would be in my earlier prediction for him. He hasn't lost the job yet, but the team is losing patience. And WHOA!!! Did I say Ambiorix Burgos?!?! What was I thinking? I know I wasn't sold on him 100% but wow...this guy is bad...my apologies for that one.

So there it is....a little accountability 2 months in. Some good, some bad....but definitely more good than bad. But the proof is in the pudding they say. Where are you in your league standings right now? I'm sitting in first in my primary league and in contention for solid finishes in my other 3. Write to me at hbender26@yahoo.com and let me know how it's going so far. If you're at the top, we'll try to maintain it. If not, we'll try and help get you there.

See you all in the money this year.