RotoBuzz -- Fantasy Baseball

Sunday, March 26, 2006

2 Down.....2 to go....

So today was the draft for my primary league, Cooperstown Classic. It is a 15 team keeper, mixed league, 5x5 with 25 man rosters (16 hitters/9 pitchers) and a 10 player bench, which gets filled in a free agent draft at the end of April.
The draft itself is a "blind bid". If you aren't familiar, her it is...your first round sheet is handed in with your potential roster...bids on each guy you are going after with a letter for tiebreaking purposes. If you are the highest bidder, you get the player. If not, that money moves to the second round where you will need to find your next player. Each round continues in the same fashion where you try to fill out your full 25. It usually goes just 4 or 5 rounds.
You can protect up to 9 guys on your team from the previous season with the first guy being free. The next costs 10, then next 15, then 20, 25, 30, etc. You have 260 to start, less your protect costs.

So this year, I did some offseason maneuvering so I could protect the following guys: 1B Paul Konerko, 2B Chase Utley, SS Felipe Lopez, 3B Scott Rolen, OF Johnny Damon, OF Coco Crisp, and closer Derrick Turnbow.

Sticking with the theory that you should spend roughly 65% of your money on offense, I went in considering Turnbow to be my $10 guy and the rest was diverted to protecting the offensive guys. I needed to make some shrewd picks on offense as I was going to throw my whole league for a loop and lock myself in to some great starting pitching. No one saw it coming....

Actually I went for the same pitching guys as my first draft, the 7x7 league with the snake draft, as I was very happy with how it came out. Erik Bedard, Jason Schmidt, Jeremy Bonderman, and Mark Buehrle once again adorned my roster. I filled in with a few other "sleepers" and I was good to go.
Hitting wise, I knew I was going to have to bargain shop as I invested $2 in the Marlins middle infield, Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez. I also lucked out with soem crazy picks as I was able to land Jim Edmonds for $1. You gotta love talking up injuries. I know I recommended against him, but for $1, how could it go wrong?

In any event, here's how the roster looks...

C Johnny Estrada, Brian McCann
1B Paul Konerko, Chris Shelton
2B Chase Utley, Dan Uggla
SS Felipe Lopez, Hanley Ramirez
3B Scott Rolen, Garrett Atkins
OF Coco Crisp, Johnny Damon, Jim Edmonds, Juan Encarnacion, Craig Monroe, Matt Murton
P Jason Schmidt, Mark Buehrle, Jeremy Bonderman, Erik Bedard, Horacio Ramirez, Jason Vargas, Scott Baker, Derrick Turnbow, Mike Gonzalez

Maybe I could use a little more pop, especially in the OF, but overall I am very happy with today's draft.

If you want to throw in your 2 cents and tell me what you think of the roster, you can post comments here or email me at hbender26@yahoo.com.